Thursday, March 02, 2006

Michael Foster Project

Went to Sogo last night to see the Mike Foster Project. They are a local brass band that includes a lot of my buds from my yesteryears. Mike Foster on Sousaphone; we have John Grey on Trumpet; Jeremy Boinkins on Trumpet; Christopher Lee on drums and a few other guy whose' names I can not recall at this moment.

I remember playing at M's Cafe with Simon Lott and many of these guys back when I was in High School, many years ago when I wanted to be a musician. I finally realized that I grew up in great company. Hanging out with WarmDaddy Wes Anderson, taking lessons from Rex Richardson and any other traveling musical monster, playing with Gram Breedlove. Hell I even played with Daniel Lee Hotard when my brother was pissing around with his band Janus. I am not sure how it happened but cycling took over my life and put my music on the back burner. That said I now have time to start to re-explore my music and I think it is time to pick my axe back up again. I remember playing at M's Cafe and Wes walked in, I choked like you would not believe. Here in small Baton Rouge one of the most accomplisehed alto sax player in the world walks in on one of my Solos and I CHOKED, no sound no audible attempt just silence followed by 30 second of out of tune CRAP. I am more musical in the bathroom than I was for those 30 seconds. Do I really miss being a musician? I started to play the trumpet at the age of 9 years old and have played on and off primarily ON for 16 years. I have played with some great musicians and some cool guys.

I miss Tabby's Hoodoo music on Thursdays but I think a nice alternative is Mike Foster on Wednesdays. Sogo has a nasty little drink special known as 3 for 1 on Wednesdays. One drink and I am done.

LAE, Jr

Be sure to check in same bat time same bat channel.

No comments: