Monday, May 01, 2006

I love my Chevy Pick Up Truck.

So on my way back to BR from Shreveport, LA I was happy as hell. I had just won a race and I am getting back to BR in time to go rent a movie to watch with a friend and sure enough, all Hell breaks loose.

Cruising down I-49 I make it seriously ~40 miles from the race when my speedometer starts to eff up on me. I could not quite figure out what was happening but I knew it was not good. Shortly there after I start to smell burning rubber or something of that sort. Now those of you that know me know that if I can smell it, it must be strong. So I am trying to make it to the next large town, Natchitoches, LA home of NWSU. I make it to the first exit ramp in that town and before I can even get the car off the exit ramp it dies on me. The smell of burning stuff made me pop my hood prematurely while on the interstate. Sure enough when I got under the hood my alternator was spewing fire all over the place. My only thought was FUCK my shit is about to catch on fire and blow the FUCK up. So I sprayed water out of one of my water bottles all into the alternator and put the fire out. Good I can work with this is what I was thinking. FUCK no I can’t, I didn’t have any tools not even an Allen wrench for my bike. So I knew I was in for hell. So I assemble my trusty mountain bike and use my ever-versatile timbuk2 bag and go off in-search of an auto parts store. The first one I come to is AZ. Now I am not a fan of Auto Zone and I had just replaced my alternator with one from there four months earlier. So I kept on to next door to O' Riley auto parts.

So I cruise over to O’ Riley and pick up $ 185 for tools and a new alternator. Damn, I was not expecting this to hit me for that much. $134.99 for the new alternator and $50 for tools. Now I am the biggest tool that I know but I am incapable of removing an alternator just by acting like an ass. So I toss all this stuff into my bag and ride back to my truck. So here I am on the side of the interstate fixing my truck. Sure nough, I get back to my ride remove the old alternator and go to install the new one and the battery cord stud is missing. Basically, I am screwed. So I hop onto my bike with the old alternator and the new alternator in the Timbuk2 ride back to O’ Riley and they credit me for the purchase. I kept the tools in anticipation of getting a new alternator next door at AZ. So I cruise over and they check their database and promptly hand over a new alternator for FREE. Follow that with 10 miles back to the car, 30 min of mechanic work and I am rolling back to BR covered from head to toe in Grease and dying of heat cause my AC still doesn’t work. I love LA.

So what is the moral of this story?
Fuck Cars. When they break down just go for the bike you are doing the environment a favor and it will keep you in shape also. If you do drive don't drive domestic they break too much. Riding 40 miles on pavement after racing 20 miles on dirt will trash a new pairof Knobby tires faster than any thing else known to man. Don't ever take advice from someone that knows less than you do, because if you alternator catches on fire your battery is not the problem. Ehh (that for you troll)

Keep the Rubber Side Down Crew,

Jr

No comments: