Thursday, April 13, 2006

Training Coming along just fine.

Last week my training regiment was increased to ~ 19 hours a week. Though due to bizarre circumstances that has been drastically reduced this week. Long rides that finish in 40 mile training races and even longer rides in the Feliciana's on Sundays are what my diet has consisted of lately. Basically, I have been up to more big gear efforts and cruise efforts. However, as I am trying to peak late in the season for several NORBA National Events in particular Snow Mass (Aspen, CO) and Park City, UT NORBA National Events it is now time for the really hard intervals to begin. Criss Cross Efforts are by far the worst feeling efforts that I perform. They basically consist of efforts that start at cruising at your LT (lactate threshold) then slowly ramping the effort to the point that you are Super LT then once again slowly lowering the effort to LT effort. These intervals hurt but they whip you into shape very fast. The only problem is that over doing it is easy. Then you gain nothing out of this hard work but lost fitness.

Anyway, I am still looking to head to the MTNs. Though I have races coming up that will send me there anyway.

I really need to start doing more intervals that are anaerobic. The reason behind this is that anaerobic efforts increase the size and concentration of mitochondria within our cells. Mitochondria are the power factories of our cells. As you get to higher altitudes and the oxygen becomes scarce having more mitochondria will make one more efficient. Sure there is more to it than doing anaerobic efforts but they are one of the building blocks and major components of competitive fitness. It is no secret that bicycle racing is a competition of who is the most effiecient. So I need to start making myself more efficient now in anticipation of events with a base altitude of 6000 feet above sealevel such as Snow Mass.


So keep on ridin' and smilin',

Jr


R.I.P. Kerry Stamey and Emerson Bell.

No comments: